Mils Units Converter
What is mil?
Mil is a derived unit of length in an inch-based system of units. It is also known as a “thou”. It equals one thousandth of an inch (0.001 inch). The mil or “thou” is still used in the United States to measure thickness of various materials.
The mil should not be confused with a millimeter (0.001 meter), a multiple of a base metric unit of length.
- A grocery store bag is 0.5 mil
- A dry cleaning bag is 0.75 mil
- A bread bag is 1.5 mils thick
- A freezer bags is generally 1.75 mils
- A retail shopping bag is usually 2 mils
1 mil equals the following: